LIVE NEWS
  • US suspends joint defence effort with Canada dating back to World War II | Donald Trump News
  • WhatsApp Tests View-Once Disappearing Messages On IOS Beta
  • Factcheck: US and Iran are world’s only major emitters without net-zero targets
  • Free up fertiliser supplies to avert global food crisis, Yvette Cooper urges | Food security
  • Maryland state affordability board places a price cap on Ozempic
  • Volvo teases a new affordable EV to replace discontinued EX30
  • House Democrats attack Trump’s $1.7bn compensation fund as ‘corruption unparalleled’ – US politics live | US news
  • Lawyers Apologize After Fake Claude-Generated Quotes Appear in Trump Layoffs Case
Prime Reports
  • Home
  • Popular Now
  • Crypto
  • Cybersecurity
  • Economy
  • Geopolitics
  • Global Markets
  • Politics
  • See More
    • Artificial Intelligence
    • Climate Risks
    • Defense
    • Healthcare Innovation
    • Science
    • Technology
    • World
Prime Reports
  • Home
  • Popular Now
  • Crypto
  • Cybersecurity
  • Economy
  • Geopolitics
  • Global Markets
  • Politics
  • Artificial Intelligence
  • Climate Risks
  • Defense
  • Healthcare Innovation
  • Science
  • Technology
  • World
Home»Popular Now»US suspends joint defence effort with Canada dating back to World War II | Donald Trump News
Popular Now

US suspends joint defence effort with Canada dating back to World War II | Donald Trump News

primereportsBy primereportsMay 19, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Reddit Telegram Email
US suspends joint defence effort with Canada dating back to World War II | Donald Trump News
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


The Trump administration has frequently accused US allies of failing to live up to mutual defence obligations.

Published On 18 May 202618 May 2026

The United States has said it will not take part in a joint board for continental defence with Canada, depicting the country as failing to live up to its defence obligations.

On Monday, US Undersecretary of Defense Elbridge Colby wrote on social media that his department would halt its involvement in the Permanent Joint Board on Defense to “reassess” the forum’s benefits.

Recommended Stories

list of 3 itemsend of list

The board dates back to World War II and has served as a forum for regional security. But relations with Canada have grown strained since US President Donald Trump returned to office for a second term in 2025.

“A strong Canada that prioritizes hard power over rhetoric benefits us all. Unfortunately, Canada has failed to make credible progress on its defense commitments,” Colby wrote on X.

“We can no longer avoid the gaps between rhetoric and reality. Real powers must sustain our rhetoric with shared defense and security responsibilities.”

The announcement is the latest instance of the Trump administration chiding Western allies for what the president believes is an overreliance on US military power.

Allied countries have largely refuted his claims, arguing that they are ramping up military spending and taking steps to take greater control over regional security.

Just last year, at a NATO summit in The Hague, nearly every member state agreed to increase defence spending to 5 percent of their gross domestic product (GDP). Spain petitioned to be excluded from the agreement, though.

Canada, under Prime Minister Mark Carney, was among the countries committing to the increased spending.

Of the 5 percent earmarked for defence, 3.5 percent would go to bolstering Canada’s “core military capabilities”, Carney’s government said. The rest would go to security-related expenses, including port improvements, emergency preparedness and other resources.

Since taking office as prime minister in March 2025, Carney has been an outspoken supporter of lessening Canada’s dependence on the US’s military and economy.

In a speech this year, he outlined a vision in which “middle powers” like Canada banded together to sidestep the current “era of great power rivalry”, a veiled reference to countries like the US, Russia and China.

While the US and Canada are neighbours, Trump’s second presidency has resulted in fraying bonds between the two countries, even beyond matters of security.

Trump has accused Canada of pursuing unfair trade policies and failing to crack down on the illicit traffic of people and drugs across the border, though critics have questioned the legitimacy of these claims.

To force Canada to comply with his policies, the US president has pursued an aggressive tariff regimen to tax cross-border imports.

Trump has suggested in the past that Canada could avoid such penalties by ceding its sovereignty and becoming the US’s 51st state.

“Cooler and wiser brains are needed to preserve a close alliance w/ our neighbor,” US Republican Representative Don Bacon said in a social media post on Monday, criticising the decision to pull out of the defence forum with Canada.

“This all started w/ taunts of ‘Canada will be the 51st state’ and ‘their Prime Minister will be the 51st governor’. The insults gained us nothing but animosity that cost us economically and now militarily.”

The US, Canada and Mexico are set to negotiate an updated version of a regional free trade agreement, known as the USMCA, later this year.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Previous ArticleWhatsApp Tests View-Once Disappearing Messages On IOS Beta
primereports
  • Website

Related Posts

Popular Now

Trump’s immigration crackdown could cost up to $479bn in lost taxes over 10 years | Business

May 18, 2026
Popular Now

UK-registered firms linked to payments for small-boat crossings, BBC finds

May 18, 2026
Popular Now

Nikkei 225, Hang Seng Index, Kospi, Nifty 50

May 18, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Top Posts

Global Resources Outlook 2024 | UNEP

December 6, 20258 Views

The D Brief: DHS shutdown likely; US troops leave al-Tanf; CNO’s plea to industry; Crowded robot-boat market; And a bit more.

February 14, 20265 Views

German Chancellor Merz faces difficult mission to Israel – DW – 12/06/2025

December 6, 20254 Views
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • YouTube
  • TikTok
  • WhatsApp
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
Latest Reviews

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest tech news from FooBar about tech, design and biz.

PrimeReports.org
Independent global news, analysis & insights.

PrimeReports.org brings you in-depth coverage of geopolitics, markets, technology and risk – with context that helps you understand what really matters.

Editorially independent · Opinions are those of the authors and not investment advice.
Facebook X (Twitter) LinkedIn YouTube
Key Sections
  • World
  • Geopolitics
  • Popular Now
  • Artificial Intelligence
  • Cybersecurity
  • Crypto
All Categories
  • Artificial Intelligence
  • Climate Risks
  • Crypto
  • Cybersecurity
  • Defense
  • Economy
  • Geopolitics
  • Global Markets
  • Healthcare Innovation
  • Politics
  • Popular Now
  • Science
  • Technology
  • World
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Disclaimer
  • Cookie Policy
  • DMCA / Copyright Notice
  • Editorial Policy

Sign up for Prime Reports Briefing – essential stories and analysis in your inbox.

By subscribing you agree to our Privacy Policy. You can opt out anytime.
Latest Stories
  • US suspends joint defence effort with Canada dating back to World War II | Donald Trump News
  • WhatsApp Tests View-Once Disappearing Messages On IOS Beta
  • Factcheck: US and Iran are world’s only major emitters without net-zero targets
© 2026 PrimeReports.org. All rights reserved.
Privacy Terms Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.