LIVE NEWS
  • L.I.R.R. Strike Ends After Tens of Thousands Endure Painful Commutes
  • Cisco Wins Over AI Customers With Merchant Silicon And Optics
  • A Utility Mega-Merger Is All About Data Centers
  • Trump Is Said to Have Proposed a New Helipad at the White House
  • How Are Health Systems Managing Thousands of Devices on Their Networks?
  • Meta to receive over $3 billion in tax breaks for its 2,250 acre Louisiana data center – enough to fund the state’s police budget for seven years
  • US suspends joint defence effort with Canada dating back to World War II | Donald Trump News
  • WhatsApp Tests View-Once Disappearing Messages On IOS Beta
Prime Reports
  • Home
  • Popular Now
  • Crypto
  • Cybersecurity
  • Economy
  • Geopolitics
  • Global Markets
  • Politics
  • See More
    • Artificial Intelligence
    • Climate Risks
    • Defense
    • Healthcare Innovation
    • Science
    • Technology
    • World
Prime Reports
  • Home
  • Popular Now
  • Crypto
  • Cybersecurity
  • Economy
  • Geopolitics
  • Global Markets
  • Politics
  • Artificial Intelligence
  • Climate Risks
  • Defense
  • Healthcare Innovation
  • Science
  • Technology
  • World
Home»Defense»Pentagon assures safe passage through Strait of Hormuz despite presence of mines
Defense

Pentagon assures safe passage through Strait of Hormuz despite presence of mines

primereportsBy primereportsMay 5, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Reddit Telegram Email
Pentagon assures safe passage through Strait of Hormuz despite presence of mines
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth told reporters Tuesday in the Pentagon that vessels transiting the Strait of Hormuz currently have access to a secure lane, as the U.S. seeks to restore freedom of navigation through the embattled sea passage.

The guarantee comes a day after U.S. Naval Forces Central Command issued a security warning regarding maritime explosive devices to vessels passing through the strait.

“Transit via or in close proximity to the traffic separation scheme should be considered extremely hazardous due the presence of mines that have not been fully surveyed and mitigated,” a memo with the warning read.

The U.S. instructed vessels to travel through an enhanced security area south of the traffic separation scheme in Oman territorial waters and coordinate with Oman authorities to ensure safe passage amid anticipated heavy traffic.

The traffic separation scheme refers to two lanes in the Strait of Hormuz that were previously deemed safe.

“Any follow-on effort if there are mines identified, would be something that some of our units could undertake or the world could undertake,” Hegseth said. “But right now we know we have a lane of safe passage that commercial shipping can flow through.”

Iranian naval mines have proven a constant threat throughout the Iran war.

While the U.S. military has destroyed a number of Iran’s mine-laying boats and storage bunkers for naval mines, the country has been previously assessed to have a stockpile of around 6,000 as recently as 2025, according to Congress.

CENTCOM announced April 11 that it had began “setting conditions for clearing mines” with the assistance of Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyers USS Frank E. Peterson and USS Michael Murphy.

The U.S. Navy currently has several options to identify and neutralize mines, including Avenger-class minesweepers and lndependence-class littoral combat ships with a mine countermeasures mission package.

The Navy retired all four minesweepers home-ported in Bahrain, the only in the Middle East, in 2025.

The remaining four Avenger-class minesweepers are home-ported in Japan, with two on their way toward the U.S. Central Command area of responsibility as of April 20, according to Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Daryl Caudle, who confirmed the transport to reporters at the 2026 Sea-Air-Space exposition.

All three of the LCS with the MCM mission package are home-ported in Bahrain, but two of them — the USS Santa Barbara and USS Tulsa — left the CENTCOM area of responsibility and arrived in Singapore for scheduled maintenance in March.

U.S. Central Command began supporting Project Freedom on Monday, a military operation aiming to shepherd commercial shipping vessels attempting to pass through the Strait of Hormuz.

The U.S. Navy instituted a blockade of the Strait of Hormuz on April 12 after President Trump announced on Truth Social that the U.S. would intercept vessels that paid a toll to Iran for passage and begin destroying mines.

The nearly four-week-old ceasefire between the U.S. and Iran remains in effect, despite an exchange of artillery fire that saw the U.S. military destroy six Iranian small boats, as well as cruise missiles and drones.

Riley Ceder is a reporter at Military Times, where he covers breaking news, criminal justice, investigations, and cyber. He previously worked as an investigative practicum student at The Washington Post, where he contributed to the Abused by the Badge investigation.

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Previous ArticleHantavirus explained: how does it spread and who is most at risk? – podcast | Science
Next Article The EU wants to unshackle its economy. For real this time
primereports
  • Website

Related Posts

Defense

The little fighter that could

May 18, 2026
Defense

Multiyear buys for F-35, F-15EX? Sen. Budd hopeful airpower bills added to NDAA

May 18, 2026
Defense

HASC leader threatens Pentagon with ‘pain’ over canceled Europe deployment

May 18, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Top Posts

Global Resources Outlook 2024 | UNEP

December 6, 20258 Views

The D Brief: DHS shutdown likely; US troops leave al-Tanf; CNO’s plea to industry; Crowded robot-boat market; And a bit more.

February 14, 20265 Views

German Chancellor Merz faces difficult mission to Israel – DW – 12/06/2025

December 6, 20254 Views
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • YouTube
  • TikTok
  • WhatsApp
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
Latest Reviews

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest tech news from FooBar about tech, design and biz.

PrimeReports.org
Independent global news, analysis & insights.

PrimeReports.org brings you in-depth coverage of geopolitics, markets, technology and risk – with context that helps you understand what really matters.

Editorially independent · Opinions are those of the authors and not investment advice.
Facebook X (Twitter) LinkedIn YouTube
Key Sections
  • World
  • Geopolitics
  • Popular Now
  • Artificial Intelligence
  • Cybersecurity
  • Crypto
All Categories
  • Artificial Intelligence
  • Climate Risks
  • Crypto
  • Cybersecurity
  • Defense
  • Economy
  • Geopolitics
  • Global Markets
  • Healthcare Innovation
  • Politics
  • Popular Now
  • Science
  • Technology
  • World
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Disclaimer
  • Cookie Policy
  • DMCA / Copyright Notice
  • Editorial Policy

Sign up for Prime Reports Briefing – essential stories and analysis in your inbox.

By subscribing you agree to our Privacy Policy. You can opt out anytime.
Latest Stories
  • L.I.R.R. Strike Ends After Tens of Thousands Endure Painful Commutes
  • Cisco Wins Over AI Customers With Merchant Silicon And Optics
  • A Utility Mega-Merger Is All About Data Centers
© 2026 PrimeReports.org. All rights reserved.
Privacy Terms Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.