LIVE NEWS
  • Scientists uncover cancer-causing chemicals hidden in everyday foods
  • Ebola risk raised to 'very high' in DR Congo
  • Crypto Is Growing Up—Why Some Everyday Traders Are Moving On
  • Fake Gemini and Claude Code Sites Spread Infostealers
  • AI Helps Solo Business Owners Make Smarter Inventory Decisions
  • Rubio looks increasingly plausible for the 2028 presidential election
  • Gold holds within weekly range as US-Iran talks remain in focus
  • KC-135 Pulled from Boneyard Weeks After Another Crashed in Iraq
Prime Reports
  • Home
  • Popular Now
  • Crypto
  • Cybersecurity
  • Economy
  • Geopolitics
  • Global Markets
  • Politics
  • See More
    • Artificial Intelligence
    • Climate Risks
    • Defense
    • Healthcare Innovation
    • Science
    • Technology
    • World
Prime Reports
  • Home
  • Popular Now
  • Crypto
  • Cybersecurity
  • Economy
  • Geopolitics
  • Global Markets
  • Politics
  • Artificial Intelligence
  • Climate Risks
  • Defense
  • Healthcare Innovation
  • Science
  • Technology
  • World
Home»Defense»KC-135 Pulled from Boneyard Weeks After Another Crashed in Iraq
Defense

KC-135 Pulled from Boneyard Weeks After Another Crashed in Iraq

primereportsBy primereportsMay 22, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Reddit Telegram Email
KC-135 Pulled from Boneyard Weeks After Another Crashed in Iraq
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


Audio of this article is brought to you by the Air & Space Forces Association, honoring and supporting our Airmen, Guardians, and their families. Find out more at afa.org

The Air Force pulled a KC-135 out of storage at the “Boneyard” in early April, three weeks after another one of the service’s Stratotankers crashed in Iraq during Operation Epic Fury.

Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Kenneth S. Wilsbach mentioned during testimony to the House Armed Service Committee on May 20 that service had recently reactivated a KC-135 from its massive aircraft storage facility at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz. A spokesperson confirmed the move occurred in early April, though they did not address whether it was in direct response to the Epic Fury crash.

Instead, the spokesperson said a KC-135 Program Office request prompted the 309th Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Group, or AMARG, to regenerate “KC-135R, tail number 58-011, to support operational requirements.”

The aircraft departed the Boneyard on April 2 and flew to the Oklahoma Air Logistics Complex at Tinker Air Force Base, Okla., the spokesperson said.

Weeks earlier, on March 12, a KC-135 crashed in Western Iraq, killing all six Airmen on board, after a midair collision with another KC-135, Air & Space Forces Magazine previously reported.

By law, the Air Force must grow its fleet of refueling aircraft from a minimum of 466 to 478 by Oct. 1, 2027, and eventually 502 by Oct. 1, 2028. The service is in the process of replacing its aging fleet of KC-135s with newer KC-46 Pegasus aircraft while it explores options for a Next Generation Air-refueling System, or NGAS.

In late April, the Air Force said it was on track to meet its 466-aircraft requirement by Sept. 30. Fiscal 2027 budget documents released in early April indicate the service had roughly 370 KC-135s and 105 KC-46s refuelers, though those figures did not address aircraft lost or damaged during Epic Fury, Air Force officials have said.

As part of its 2027 budget, the service has said it is seeking to retire 20 KC-135s; a spokesperson said the service anticipates receiving 20 KC-46s next year as well.

It’s also unclear how long it will take for the KC-135 pulled from the Boneyard to be brought up to operational standards at Tinker. The Air Force recently announced that a B-1B Lancer that was reactivated from the Boneyard in 2024 is finally ready to rejoin the operational fleet. While at Tinker, the Lancer underwent an “intensive regeneration and depot maintenance effort.” More than 200 Airmen and civilians from 567th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron worked on the aircraft, replacing roughly 500 components, including completing “system overhauls and structural repairs.”

During Epic Fury, the intense air campaign against Iran’s nuclear enrichment and military facilities, the Air Force lost roughly 38 other manned and unmanned aircraft in addition to the crashed KC-135.

It remains to be seen how the Air Force plans to replace those losses. The service has lost at least at least four F-15Es and an A-10 that were flying combat missions in the operation. It has lost nearly 30 MQ-9 Reaper unmanned aircraft flying missions against Iran. An E-3 AWACS was severely damaged during a March 27 attack on Prince Sultan Air Base, Saudia Arabia. And two MC-130 Hercules, involved in the dramatic rescue of two F-15 crew members shot down over Iran, had to be destroyed in place to prevent enemy forces from examining the aircraft’s technology.

The service spokesperson said the Air Force has not activated “any additional aircraft” from the Boneyard. There are two C-130s being regenerated at the AMARG, but they are for foreign military sales, the spokesperson added.

Audio of this article is brought to you by the Air & Space Forces Association, honoring and supporting our Airmen, Guardians, and their families. Find out more at afa.org

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Previous ArticleScientists thought Jupiter’s moon Europa was ejecting water. Now they’re not so sure
Next Article Gold holds within weekly range as US-Iran talks remain in focus
primereports
  • Website

Related Posts

Defense

In shift, Trump announces deployment of 5,000 US troops to Poland

May 22, 2026
Defense

Poland joins Pentagon’s counter-drone marketplace amid unexpected US deployment cancellation

May 21, 2026
Defense

Tom Hanks-led World War II docuseries set to debut over Memorial Day

May 21, 2026
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Top Posts

Global Resources Outlook 2024 | UNEP

December 6, 20258 Views

The D Brief: DHS shutdown likely; US troops leave al-Tanf; CNO’s plea to industry; Crowded robot-boat market; And a bit more.

February 14, 20265 Views

German Chancellor Merz faces difficult mission to Israel – DW – 12/06/2025

December 6, 20254 Views
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • YouTube
  • TikTok
  • WhatsApp
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
Latest Reviews

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest tech news from FooBar about tech, design and biz.

PrimeReports.org
Independent global news, analysis & insights.

PrimeReports.org brings you in-depth coverage of geopolitics, markets, technology and risk – with context that helps you understand what really matters.

Editorially independent · Opinions are those of the authors and not investment advice.
Facebook X (Twitter) LinkedIn YouTube
Key Sections
  • World
  • Geopolitics
  • Popular Now
  • Artificial Intelligence
  • Cybersecurity
  • Crypto
All Categories
  • Artificial Intelligence
  • Climate Risks
  • Crypto
  • Cybersecurity
  • Defense
  • Economy
  • Geopolitics
  • Global Markets
  • Healthcare Innovation
  • Politics
  • Popular Now
  • Science
  • Technology
  • World
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Disclaimer
  • Cookie Policy
  • DMCA / Copyright Notice
  • Editorial Policy

Sign up for Prime Reports Briefing – essential stories and analysis in your inbox.

By subscribing you agree to our Privacy Policy. You can opt out anytime.
Latest Stories
  • Scientists uncover cancer-causing chemicals hidden in everyday foods
  • Ebola risk raised to 'very high' in DR Congo
  • Crypto Is Growing Up—Why Some Everyday Traders Are Moving On
© 2026 PrimeReports.org. All rights reserved.
Privacy Terms Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.